Thursday, March 12, 2009

Orange Bread



Kids love anything orange. In fact, they just love food, any food except vegetables. DD1 is a weird kid, when she was much younger, she eats all kinds of vegetables and especially loves broccoli. Now, she can hardly stomach a small floret of broccoli. I do hope this is just a passing phase.

Alright, back to the bread... I baked an orange chiffon cake last Thursday and DD1 asked for orange bread. I've baked this orange bread 2 weeks ago when DH was out of town. When I saw this bread recipe in Kitchen Capers, I knew I just have to bake it as I've always love the tangy orange bread from Provence Bakery. I baked a loaf using the breadmachine then and the kids love it except for DS2 who doesn't like any zest in his cakes/bread.

This time round, I used the breadmachine to knead the dough and I baked it in the oven. Also, I didn't add any orange zest to it. DS2 walloped the whole bread in no time, and I'm happy to see that. But honestly speaking, I'll very much prefer the bread with the zest. I just feel that it doesn't have the "omph!" in the bread without the zest. Oh well.. sometimes we just have to compromise for the sake of the little ones.

Recipe from here

Dry Ingredients
250g bread flour
8g milk powder (1 tbl)
30g sugar
4g salt (1 tsp)
3g yeast (1 & 1/4 tsp)


Wet Ingredients
25g egg (half an egg)
25g magarine (I use butter)
110g freshly squeezed orange juice, unsieved (about 2 mid-size oranges)
1 tbl orange zest (about 1 orange)

Method
  1. Place the dry ingredients into a big bowl and mix well.
  2. Add in the wet ingredients to form a dough.
  3. Knead dough until dough is elastic and smooth.
  4. Place it in a large greased bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth or cling-wrap and leave it to proof in a warm place till double in size (about 1-1.5 hrs).
  5. When proofing is completed, punch down the bread dough to release the air.
  6. Divide the dough into 10 equal portions (about 47g per portion).
  7. Shape each portion into a smooth ball and place them into a loaf pan.
  8. Cover the loaf pan with a cling wrap and allow the dough to go for second proofing until double in size again (about 1 hr).
  9. Brush the top with a little magarine and sprinkle some sugar on top.
  10. Bake in preheated oven at 170C for 15-20 minutes. If the top has browned, you can cover the top with an aluminium foil to continue baking.
  11. Remove bread from loaf pan to cool completely.
Own Notes:
* Tecno TEO 3400: Bake at 160C for 15 - 20 mins.
* This bread dough takes 1 1/2 hrs - 2 hrs to double in size.

No comments: