Thursday, October 22, 2009

Red Bean Paste

With the intention to make Matcha (green tea) mochi, I made some red bean paste. The last time I cook this, I over-cooked the paste and it was too dry. I like buns with red bean paste but commercially bought ones are so SWEET... For homemade paste, you can control the amount of sugar used :)

After soaking the red beans overnight, I cooked it in my AMC pot and the beans were softened in an hour's time :)

This is how it looks like after blending it with some water.


The best part of homecooked paste is adding JUST ENOUGH sugar to suit my family.

I used my AMC pot and cook on low, stirring occassionally to prevent the base from burning/sticking to the base.

I managed to get the right consistency this time round ^-^

Red Bean Paste
Ingredients
500g Red beans
200g Sugar

Method

  1. Wash the beans, cover the cold water, and soak overnight. Drain beans and discard water. Place beans in a saucepan, add cold water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour, or until very soft. Monitor the pan to make sure water doesn't dry up.
  2. Place the beans in a food processor and process until smooth. In a medium saucepan/pot, add the bean paste and sugar. Cook, stirring until the mixture is dry.

No comments: