Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Green Peas Cookies

This is an overdue post :P

I've had this recipe for the longest time but didn't managed to find time to make it.  This year, I told myself I just have to make it for Chinese New Year as I simply love green peas especially the one coated with wasabi!  Delicious!

The intent was to do a trial bake in mid January but the green peas were out of stock.  I finally found a packet 2 days before CNY, phew!

I've reduced the sugar by a fraction but still find it sweet.  Other than the sweetness, this cookie is very addictive, and especially so if you are a green peas fan ;-)

Fried Green Peas Cookies
(Recipe adapted from the book Y3K "New Year Cookies" byAlan Ooi)
Ingredients
130g fried green peas, grinded
150g plain flour
90g icing sugar
1/4 tsp salt
100g oil

Method
  1. Put green peas into a food processor and grind finely. Leave aside for use later.
  2. Sift flour and icing sugar into a mixing bowl.
  3. Add green peas and salt, mix well.
  4. Add oil and mix till a dough is formed.
  5. Roll dough in between 2 plastic sheets and cut out cookies.
  6. Bake at pre-heated oven of 170C for about 15 - 20 mins or till cooked.
  7. Cool completely before storing into cookie containers.

15 comments:

DG said...

Your green peas cookies look delicious. I haven't got chance to bake this yet. However, this sure will my CNY cookies list for next year. :)

ann low said...

Very pretty flower shaped. Had never tried this yet. Maybe next year ;)

A Full-Timed Housefly said...

Oh you are so talented , must have saved lots of $$$ when you baked cookies yourself at home....these look so yummy , I love peas too and especially wasabi coated ones....hahaha

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

I have never heard of green pea cookies- I wonder if my monkeys would know they are eating a veggie?

Mrs Multitasker said...

This is so clever I love the idea! I've printed the recipe to try sometime =)

WendyinKK said...

Oh u bought those batter coated fried green peas??
I thought it's the unbattered ones are used.

I'm sure they taste fabulous and crumbles in the mouth with the slightest pressure.

Blessed Homemaker said...

DG, I think many pple baked this, thus the shortage of green peas in the supermarket and bakeware shops.

Anncoo, looking forward to your cookies, am sure they will turn out gorgeous.

Pearlyn, thanks! I'm not talented since I didn't create this recipe :P But you are right about the savings part, I just found out each cookie jar easily cost $15 - $30!

Lady Ren, my monkeys love it so I'm sure yours will like them too! ;-)

Blessed Homemaker said...

Mrs Multitasker, looking forward to your blog post ;)

Wendy, I believe we are supposed to use the plain ones but since I can only find the coated ones and I was like "desperate" to bake them, I just make do with whatever I can find :P

Pei-Lin said...

Hehehe ...! I just made them on CNY's Eve! On my latest blog post! The shape of yours is rather new to me! Thanks for sharing!! ;)

Happy Lunar New Year to you & family!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Pei-Lin, what a coincidence! The cutter is a hand-me-down from my sister, I thought it looks like a flower but the petals are of difference sizes. Strange huh?

ahteekitchen said...

Must be vry delicious!

tigerfish said...

I like to munch on those green peas but not with wasabi flavor :O

Blessed Homemaker said...

Ah Tee & tigerfish, thanks for visiting and leaving me a comment :)

hweehwee said...

hello i just made this cookie; very easy and very nice. Thank you for sharing

Blessed Homemaker said...

hweehwee,
I'm glad you like it :)