Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fa Gao (发糕) with fermented dough

Can someone tell me why my 发糕 doesn't bloom (ie crack on the surface)?  I've tried making 发糕 several times but always end up with unsatisfactory result.  I've posted 2 entries here and here, and these are the better looking ones.  They are nothing like those sold commercially, so beautifully bloomed.

Aunty A makes very delicious sweet potato 发糕.  Recently, I decided to try her fermented dough recipe.  Alright, I confess, I made these 3 times within 2 weeks, not that I love eating 发糕 but I get very annoyed when I just couldn't get it right!

This is my most recent attempt - today!  I made these with borrowed rattan baskets from Aunty A.  They didn't bloom as nicely as Aunty A's but good enough for me (scroll down to see my 1st and 2nd attempts and you'll understand why).

However the inside was very kuih like, not fluffy at all, very unlike my first 2 tries.

My first attempt, I used plastic bowls and steamed in 3 bowls.  They overflowed and domed like mushrooms.  Nevertheless, texture was soft and fluffy.

Made them again and used 4 bowls instead.  Perfect size but no perfect bloom.

For a person who doesn't like 发糕 to eat up half a piece, don't you think this is a good recipe?

I suspect it might be the way I mix/stir in the batter, or I might have overmixed the batter.  I'll not give up, will try to achieve a perfect 发糕 one day.  Wish me luck!

16 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Oh, may I know how was the recipe like in order for us to help you troubleshoot?

I think most people use Double Acting Baking Powder to make it smile.

Unknown said...

The finished product looks absolutely beautiful. I've never tried anything like this, but I'd love to.
Please check out my new and improved blog. It just went up yesterday. I'd love to know what you think. Plus you can enter my giveaway for Amazon books :)
*kisses* HH

MaryMoh said...

Wow....that looks perfect to me already. I can just eat all :D It looks so moist and delicious.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I'm sure one day you will success making this.Have a great weekend ahead.

Sheloh said...

Hi ! Did u pour full on the cup / bowl? i could recall reading newspaper that the bowl/cup need to be steam. then after steaming meaning boiling water, add yr fa gao dough at 70% on it...

you could try using ENO.

Wish u good luck ! 6_^

tigerfish said...

But your first photo of Fa Gao...is blooming ...?

Kitchen Corner said...

The Fa Gao rise up nicely. Do you believe, I haven't make my own fa gao yet :( Will keep your recipe for reference. Thanks!

Cosy Bake said...

BH,

I also had the same issue of not getting the smilling fa gao. And Only once of twice I got it right. My aunt told me it's due to my over stirring that cause the gluten to form and the batter no longer light to rise and crack nicely. Hope this help.

Cookie said...

Hi,
Have you seen Aunty Lily's post on Fa Gao? http://lilyng2000.blogspot.com/2008/04/rice-fatt-koh-ii.html

I never made this (cos like you, I do not like the taste), but I find this post very informative!

Pei-Lin said...

LOL! I ain't a 發糕 fan either! I've not tried making it ... probably because of that, too. But I really admire your persistence ... THE NO-DIE ATTITUDE! You'll get full support from me!

Delphine said...

Hi,
Happy to know you have all the patient to try, I wish you good luck & will be seening a very Fatt Fatt Koh soon, Good Luck.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Wendy, I'll post up the recipe when I have time as it's in hardcopy. Yes, the recipe includes double acting baking powder.

HH, your new blog looks fabulous!

MaryMoh, thanks! But it could have been better.

Sonia, I wish that one day will come soon.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sheloh, I used rattan baskets this time round so I don't think can steam them without the batter. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

tigerfish, they only bloom upwards but not upwards AND sideways, ie not full bloom, if you know what I mean.

KitchenCorner, no kidding? I'll try to get the recipe up so you can give it a try.

Honeyboy, I suspect over-mixing too. Will definitely try again.

Pei-Lin, thanks! I've tried the non yeast recipe several times but all no full bloom. So far this fermented recipe is the best I've ever tasted and I don't mind making it for own consumption.

Delphine, thanks! I really need that! Hahaha!

My Little Space said...

I'm very good in making the rice flour recipe fa gao but not this! I tried this before but not smiling at all. But they all looked very well fermented after steaming, bloom like a ball but just not smiling. I wonder if I need to put on the sugar cross on it, to help the process!

Blessed Homemaker said...

My Little Space, I've gone to see your rice flour fa gao, yes, that's the kind of bloom I wish for.

I've tried the sugar sprinkling too, but I got the same result ie just crack line but doesn't bloom.

My Little Space said...

At least, yours one crack a little. hehe... I wonder is it because of the heating temperature. Instead of high heat, we should use medium heat to slow down the blooming process so that the centre will push the surface up to crack.