Monday, March 22, 2010

Stir Fry Chinese Wild Yam (淮山)

Chinese wild yam (淮山) appears regularly in my soup but never in stir-fry dishes.  When I saw this recipe in tigerfish's blog, I decided to give it a try.  However I was concern if the family will take to the taste so I cooked this only when I had 3 dishes + 1 soup + 1 extra chinese wild yam dish, just in case.

This is definitely a healthy dish but unfortunately I won't be attempting it again as the taste was slightly overwhelming for the kids and DH.  As for myself, I finished half the portion ;-)

I may give this another try when the kids are much older, but definitely not within the near future.

Stir Fry Chinese Wild Yam (淮山)
Ingredients
1 Chinese wild yam, sliced thinly at cross sections
2 stalks spring onions
1 ginger sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic minced finely
1 tbsp oyster sauce
some water
salt to taste

Method
  1. Heat 1tbsp oil in frying pan. Add in minced garlic, ginger and spring onion and fry till fragrant.
  2. Add in sliced wild yam and mix well in the pan.
  3. Add the oyster sauce and some water, then allow entire mixture to simmer till wild yam is cooked (it should turn from white to slightly translucent).

3 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

usually kids don't appreciate herb stuff..

WendyinKK said...

Taste overwhelming??
I thought it's pretty tasteless, except that the texture is overwhelming. Gooey with non stop slime.
My sister in law's mom makes a good mix veg stir fry with this, but hers is not slimy.
Wonder how she does it.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sonia, you are so right!

Wendy, the wild yam tasted fairly raw although I'm sure they're already cooked.
It'll be good if you can get hold of the recipe ;-)