Thursday, April 29, 2010

Stir-Fry Chayote with Black Fungus

I usually fry chayote with garlic and salt so when I saw this recipe here, I wanted to give it a try because I love black fungus!  However, I couldn't find the fresh black fungus at the supermarket so I replaced it with dried ones.

I personally prefer this version but my 2 elder kids hated black fungus.  I believe for every different kind of food introduced, the taste is acquired so I'm definitely going to cook this again next time.

Stir-Fry Chayote with Fresh Black Fungus
(Recipe adapted from Tigerfish's blog)
Ingredients
1 Chayote, peeled and thinly sliced (佛手瓜/合掌瓜)
dried black fungus, rinsed and sliced
salt and white pepper to taste
drizzle of sesame oil
2-3 slices of ginger

Method
  1. Wash and soak black fungus in water till soften.  Slice thinly and set aside.
  2. Heat some oil in a pan. Add ginger and fry till fragrant.
  3. Add the chayote slices and fry briskly.
  4. Add the black fungus, fry and mix well with the chayote.
  5. Add 1-2 tbsp of water and allow to simmer at low-medium heat till chayote slightly softens.
  6. Salt and white pepper to taste and drizzle with sesame oil before serving.

10 comments:

WendyinKK said...

You also can stir fry chayotes with dried shrimp, slice the chayotes instead of strips, then cook the chayotes with garlic and dried shrimp until tender.

If you add some bean vermicelli, use cloud ears and fried fuchuk to it, you'll make 大姨妈嘉女,a nickname for hairy squash with vermicelli. Well both hairy squash and chayotes can be used interchangebly. :)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

this can be serve as a healthy vegetarian dish too..

Happy Homebaker said...

I like chayote, I usually stir-fry it on its own, I am sure it taste good with black fungus :)

Blessed Homemaker said...

Wendy, thanks for your suggestion. I've never tried cooking chayote with dried shrimps. My mom cooks hairy squash with bean vermicelli + black fungus. I'm going to try cooking it your style, thanks for sharing.

Sonia, now that you mentioned, yes, this can pose off as a great vegetarian dish.

HHB, chayotes are sweet on it's own and my family loves this vegetable too :)

tigerfish said...

Glad you like chayote with black fungus though your kids do not really fancy black fungus. Maybe try with fresh black fungus next time? ;p

I have been using chayote quite often and fry them many different ways.

Chayote and Black Fungus are both very nutritious.

Tigger mum said...

I have only made soups with chayotes. Going try stir-fries next time!

Thanks!

Blessed Homemaker said...

Tigerfish, thanks for the recipe, it is indeed a good combination.

Tigger mum, thanks for visiting.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recipe. I've only done it soup style. More varieties vegetarian -style.

My Little Space said...

Haven't tried cooking with chayotes or hairy squash for a long long time! I wonder my hubby & the kids will like it. Truly headache!

Pei-Lin said...

Good old home cookin'! My type of food!

Oh, I saw the message you left me ... Are ya OK?

Please take great care of yourself!