Friday, September 17, 2010

Baked Mooncakes (vegetarian)

SL helped me to buy the paste for mooncake making again (thanks dear!).  I told myself I need to make it earlier this year as I was so so late last year.

Last year, I made 2 flavours, lotus paste and matcha/green tea (both are "less sweet" version).  This year, I promised my Dad to make him mooncakes with durian paste.

The mooncake mould I have comes with 3 removable plates and that made it so much easier for me differentiate the flavours.

I have no plans to buy the matcha/green tea paste this year but DH specifically asked for it.  Like me, we don't much appreciate eating mooncake but since he asked for it, oh well....

The round ones were made yesterday and I baked another batch again this morning using my square mould.  Again, this comes with 3 removable plates.

I think I did a better job this year, shaping the paste one day in advance instead of doing everything on the same day.  Oh boy, that was a mad rush.  My mom asked for vegetarian mooncakes so I substituted egg wash with diluted sugar syrup.

The round mooncakes spreaded a little while baking and I suspect it was because I let the dough stand for more than 2 hours.  So in my 2nd attempt today, I only let it stand for 1 hour 45 mins.  It took me 30 mins to complete wrapping all 18 mooncakes with some disturbance from DD1.

Traditional Baked Mooncakes
Yield : 17 - 18 small mooncakes

Ingredients
(A)
200g Hong Kong Flour

(B)
120g Golden syrup/Sugar syrup
60g Peanut oil (I used sunflower oil)
1/4 tsp Alkaline water
* mix together

(C)
400g White Lotus Paste
Some melon seeds, toasted (optional)

(D)
1 tbsp sugar syrup
1 tsp water
** mix together

Method
  1. Toast melon seeds and leave to cool.
  2. Mix melon seeds with lotus paste and divide into portions of 25g each.
  3. Sift hong kong flour into a mixing bowl.
  4. Pour in (B), combine well to get a smooth dough in one direction.
  5. Cover with cloth, let it stand for 1 hour 45 minutes.
  6. Divide dough to portions of 20g each portion.
  7. Lightly flour your hands, wrap lotus paste with dough, roll into a ball.
  8. Lightly flour the mould.
  9. Place mooncake in mould, flatten, dislodge the mooncake.
  10. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 15 mins, remove.
  11. Set aside for 30 mins, brush with diluted sugar syrup.
  12. Return mooncakes to oven, bake for another 15 - 20 mins at 180°C.
  13. Store for 3 days before serving.

26 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Wah, so many types of mooncakes.
Personally I'm no mooncake eater.
I won't even miss it.
I prefer those plain "piggy" biscuits. That is something I look forward to eating each year. Haha!!

The round ones looks very well made, my favourite will be the 1st mould. Love the lotus imprint.

Happy Homebaker said...

Your mooncakes are very pretty! I won't be making any mooncakes this year, but I can still enjoy reading your post about how you go about making them. Thanks for sharing your experience :)

ann low said...

I think I'll try the vergetarian mooncakes next year. Is the taste good?

DG said...

Very nice mooncakes! I have the same round mould too, I find this pressing mould is so much easier to use than the old type mould :)

Anonymous said...

hi,,love this mooncake so much,, do u bake n sell,,,?,,btw i am looking for plain mooncake recipes that does not have any filling(like those piggy packed in cute plastic holder),,hope u could share the recipe if u don mind,,lots of thanks,,,pasige

Nate @ House of Annie said...

I'd love to try your durian mooncakes!

Regarding the Hong Kong flour - can you just use regular AP flour?

Pei-Lin said...

LOL! Disturbance from DD1. LOL! Oh, well ... She can't wait for your mooncakes mah ... HAHA!

Your mooncakes look good! Too bad, I don't get to bake any, once again, this year! I'm having bad timing issue every year! Argh! Guess I can only look at and drool over the mooncakes created by all you out there.

中秋節快樂!

My Little Space said...

Hi there, thank you for your kind comment you made earlier. I'm really appreaciate it. Thank you being so supportive & encouraging. ^_^ I tried my best!
Regards, Kristy
p/s sorry for my late reply. Hubby is sick (chicken pox infection)! I think he's pretty torturing! 40+ year old man infected CP. =o(

My Little Space said...

And not to forget to mention about your mooncake. All look perfect! How many moulds you have? The shape also very sharp. Hope you're enjoying your day.
Regards, Kristy

Anonymous said...

hi Happy homebaker

Can you tell me which shop to buy mooncake mould?

Thanks

Blessed Homemaker said...

Wendy,
My favourite is also the first design.

I like to make but don't like to eat, besides giving my Mom, I have to think who else to give away as I don't want my kids to eat too much :P

DH used to buy the piglets from one of the old confectionery shop but I think the chef has already retired. I prefer the piglets too as they have little/no paste inside. But those sold at supermarkets/neighbourhood bakery shops really sucks big time, loaded with poor quality and ultra sweet paste.

Blessed Homemaker said...

HHB,
Thanks! I was looking forward to your blog entry on mooncakes this year. Next year then.

I prob won't be making mooncakes next year.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Anncoo,
This is my regular recipe that my gf's mother shared and I think it's quite good. I'm not adventurous to try other recipes when I find a good one, worried of failure :P

Blessed Homemaker said...

DG,
I hate the wooden moulds, so much knocking, too noisy :P This mould is really good but the only constrain is it comes with standard plates.

Blessed Homemaker said...

pasige,
I don't sell. You can use this recipe for the piglets too.

Nate/Annie,
From my understanding, HK flour has a slightly lower protein content as compared to AP flour. So I'm not sure if the texture will be compromised. Sorry, not much of help here.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Pei-Lin,
You are right, she kept asking me if they can be eaten.

I almost couldn't make it to make any moonies this year but since my gf helped to get me the paste and I've promised my mom, I just have to find time in between my schedule.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Kristy,
Oh dear! I hope he's recovering well. I had my CP in my early 20s and I thought that was bad. Many people says the suffering is worst if you are older.

I didn't count but now that you've mentioned, I have quite a few moulds :P

3 square moulds (diff sizes) with 3 plates each but I only use the smallest
1 small round mould with 3 plates
1 small mould with adjustable depth
1 medium mould with adjustable depth
2 "piglets" wooden mould
4 big wooden moulds
2 small wooden moulds

Gosh! Just realised I have so many!

I only use 2 - 3 moulds that comes with a lever to press out the mooncakes. Hate the wooden ones as need to knock so hard and it's so noisy :P

Blessed Homemaker said...

Anony,
I'm blessed homemaker ;-)

You can buy the mooncake moulds from any bakeware shop.

Cooking Gallery said...

wow, beautiful looking mooncakes...!!

Bakertan said...

Hey blessed homemaker,

these mooncakes are lovely. I also made mooncakes but they din turn out as nice, haha.

I tried the durian paste from PH. Not very sweet but the flavour isnt very strong. White lotus paste is not bad. Not too sweet.

Some of my mooncakes also spreaded a little during baking. I will make them again next year.

Have a great time enjoying your mooncakes!

cheers

Bakericious said...

wow you made so many types ya, all looks pretty. I dun ve much mood to make mooncake this yr, made some to give out as gifts and dragging myself to do so since had promised earlier on. Dunno why, seem to get more lazy :P.

Miss B @ Everybody Eats Well in Flanders said...

Wow, your mooncakes look as good as those sold in bakeries! You are a very talented baker, really. How I wish I can be half as good as u. :)

lena said...

these mooncakes look so beautiful and neat! i only making the baked ones today..happy mooncake festival!

FATMUM said...

Hi BH, wishing you and family 中秋节快乐!

Juliana said...

Wow, they are perfect...they look the ones that you buy at the bakery...and I am sure that the homemade taste much better :-)

My Little Space said...

How very thoughtful are you! Your mom must be so happy to have your homemade vegetarian mooncake. This year mooncake festival is pretty much peaceful & quiet. Not much people celebrating it. Maybe because of the economy down run. Btw, it was raining the other night. Your mooncakes look very well made and the mould is really pretty. Hope you will have a great weekend.
Kristy