Friday, October 29, 2010

Clear Water Cake (Sponge Cake) 清水蛋糕

I've not been baking for a long time and with an itching pair of hands, I decided to try Angel's Clear Water Cake which I have bookmarked a year ago. 

But why "clear water" when there is no water used in the first place? To quote the originator, "这个蛋糕就如名字一样,外形清清澈澈简简单单,可是里面却不简单哦,超细腻的组织,超柔软的口感,入口即化".

I didn't bother to level the top of the batter and ended up with uneven looking cakes.  Also, after baking for 12 mins, the top didn't brown although the cake was cooked so I gave it another 2 minutes, hoping to get a nice brown.  Not much luck here.

Instead of using muffin cups, I used mini cupcake cases as I wanted it to be popped into the mouth, just like that, no bites = no mess.

And it's just right for my son to pop the whole cake into his mouth :)

This has a light and fluffy texture, definitely a keeper!

Clear Water Cake 清水蛋糕
(Recipe originally from here and seen here)

Ingredients
(A)
3 egg yolks 蛋黄
1 whole egg 全蛋
50g corn oil 粟米油

(B)
50g low protein flour (I used plain flour as I ran out of cake flour)

(C)
3 egg whites 蛋白

(D)
40g castor sugar 细砂糖
1g salt 盐 (I didn't weigh, just added about 1/4 tsp)

Method 做法
  1. Beat (A) till well mixed with an egg beater. 用打蛋器打匀(A)。
  2. Sift in (B), mix well. 筛入(B)拌匀.
  3. Whisk (C) till frothy, add (D) and beat till stiff peak. 把(C)打至粗泡,加入(D)打至干性发泡。
  4. Fold in the egg white mixture to egg yolk mixture in 3 additions, mix till well combined. Scope the batter into paper cups till 60% full. 蛋白霜分3次和蛋黄糊拌匀,用小勺装进纸杯至6分满。
  5. Bake in preheated oven at 150C for about 18-20mins. 烤箱预热150度,烤18-20分钟左右。(I baked mine for 14 mins as my casings are really small)

5 comments:

WendyinKK said...

Looks really soft.
One can hardly get sick of eating these type of cakes.

Meldylocks and Her Three Bears said...

Yum, soft and fluffy...taste like sponge cake? Must be superb with a cup of coffee...

Aunty Liew said...

Yummy! I love this cake, really looks so soft and fluffy! Haha, so
good that your son could acting for
you how mini the cake is.

hanushi said...

I love mini/bitesize... Makes it so easy to pop into the mouth... Hehe... thanks for sharing! :)

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

I first saw these at Angel's. Looks like I will need to bookmark this one...so soft.