Thursday, January 6, 2011

Homemade Dark Chicken Stock

When there are too much leftover meat from a party/gathering, what do you do with them?  For me, I like to use them to make dark chicken stock, best if you have the roasting juices too, yummy!

All you have to do is just cook the leftover meat with some vegetables (I like to add in some tomatoes too but I ran out of it that day).

Put all ingredients into a pot and fill it up with water (depending on how much leftover you have, I usually add 1.5 litres to 2 litres) and add 1/2 -  1 tablespoon of herbs (I like to use mixed herbs).  Bring to boil and cook for 10 minutes.

Lower heat and simmer for another 1.5 hours (or more).  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Strain the stock and pour it back into the pot.  Bring the stock back to a boil, add leftover shredded/sliced meat and more vegetables if you want.  Pour over cooked instant noodle and serve immediately (they asked for this instead of the usual macaroni).

Note:
If you are freezing the stock, the fat in the stock will float to the top and harden.  Use a metal spoon to scrap off the fats.


3 comments:

ann low said...

Yes, this is the best stock making from leftovers.

Aunty Liew said...

Hey!What a great idea!Is that yam you put inside the pot in your 4th picture?The few triangle pieces looks like yam.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Anncoo,
I agree with you, it's one of the best stock ever and most importantly, my kids love this kind of soup!

Wait Kitt,
That is ham, not yam. I cut them into big chucks :P