Thursday, October 6, 2011

Kuih Kosui

Kuih Kosui or Kueh Kosui, how you spell it, they are the same.  Many left me comments in my earlier post, asking for the recipe but I was lazy to type out the recipe as it was scribbled onto a piece of A5 paper.

Thanks to Aspiring Bakers, I am finally able to post the recipe now.  Found my old photographs from the harddisk and went to dig out the recipe from a pile papers with handwritten recipes.

I love Kuih Kosui but there are some that leaves an aftertaste.  I attribute that to an overdosage of alkaline water (lye water).  Having tried out a few recipes, this is still the best as it can be eaten fresh from the fridge, no thawing needed.  What's more, no alkaline water used!

This is good, really good.  If you trust me, give it a try and let me know how this turns out for you. I gave some to SM and she texted me immediately when she popped one into her mouth, while driving!  Her mom loves it too :-)  She reminded me to pass her more if I were to make this again hahaha!


Kueh Kosui
Recipe: Courtesy of Aunty A

Ingredients
(A)
250g Gula Melaka
600g Water
some pandan leaves

(B)
300g water

(C)
250g Tapioca Flour

(D)
Grated coconut, steam with pinch of salt and let it cool before using

Method
  • Put A into a pot and bring to boil.  Stir till sugar melts.  Leave to cool.
  • Put B into a separate pot to cook, bring to boil.  Leave to cool and blend to paste.
  • Mix tapioca flour with cold gula melaka mixture and stir well.
  • Add mee suah paste to gula melaka mixture, stir and mix well.
  • Steam empty pan for 5 mins.  Pour mixture into pan and steam for another 45 - 50 mins.
  • Set aside to cool to room temperature and cut into small pieces.
  • Coat with fresh grated coconut and serve (I prefer to chill mine and eat it cold)

24 comments:

Sem said...

Hi, this is an interesting recipe as it add mee suah, wonder why we use mee suah here, is mee suah the noodles we eat?
THanks
Sem

WendyinKK said...

mee suah????? interesting.

actually hoh, I'm wondering for many years if the name kosui is a loose translation of the word "gan sui", which means alkaline water. Hokkiens have a traditional alkaline kuih right, but the nyonyas could've adapted it to local tastebuds with gula melaka.

Small Small Baker said...

So interesting, this kuih kosui uses mee suah. I'm glad you manage to dig out the recipe and photo to share with us. :)

Kitchen Corner said...

This is one of my favorite kuih but never know the name. Now I k ow it :) thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

May I know how to make the mee sua to paste? Sorry as I seldom cook or make kueh.

Thanks.

Mixue

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Sorry, please ignore my early comment as I saw your step written very clear.

I am too blur.

Regards,
Mixue

Florence said...

Yummy!
This is the first time that I have seen kuih kosui made with mee suah paste.
Must give this a try some time.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sem,
It is mee suah noodles.

Wendy,
Hmm.. Not sure about the naming since this is a nonya kuih. But what you've said make sense too.

Blessed Homemaker said...

SSB,
Thanks for starting AB as it has motivated me to blog when the lazy bug bit me.

Kitchen Corner,
Thanks for visiting. I hope you are coping well with your nb.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Mixue/Florence, thanks for visiting. Do let me know how this turn out for you.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This is my 1st time seen kuih kosui made with mee suah as to replace alkaline, very interesting recipe and can't wait to try out. But hor, if without alkaline water, this kuih can not call Kosui already, hehehe..

Janine said...

i agree with the rest - i never thought that kuih kosui can be made using mee suah! sounds really very intriguing!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I have try the revile but the outcome was very soft or soggy?. Is there any thing wrong?. Pls help me out I,m new in baking.
Thk
Christina

Blessed Homemaker said...

Christina,
It is supposed to be soft, not be soggy. Try steaming it for another 10 mins.

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sonia,
Quite true, no kansui how to call kosui? :P

Anonymous said...

Hi, the for the in for n the recipe. My family loved it do much. Thk
Rgds,
Christina

Eileen@Hundred Eighty Degrees said...

I've tried and this is really good! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hi, may I know the size of the pan u used to steam the kueh in?

Blessed Homemaker said...

I use either 9"x13" or 8" round.

Anonymous said...

Hi Blessed Homemaker

I tried ur Kueh Kosui recipe and the kueh turned out really really good. This is the softest kueh and continued to stay soft even the flwg day without the need to reheat before eating that I ever encountered so far.

This recipe is clearly a keeper to me. I will use it over and over again.

Thank you very much.

Blessings
Priscilla Poh

Blessed Homemaker said...

Priscilla,
Thanks for leaving me a note. I've tried a few Kuih Kosui recipes and so far, this is the best tasting recipe I've ever tried.

I'm glad you like it :-)

Anonymous said...

THis is definitely a keeper. It doesn't have an aftertaste since no kansui used. I agree that the kueh remains soft straight from the fridge, no thawing needed.

Anonymous said...

I forget to mention my name. I'm Karen.

Unknown said...

I tried this recipe twice and loved it. Just that it wasn't as sweet. I added another 50g of gula melacca and it was just right. Thanks for sharing!