Thursday, September 6, 2012

Mooncake piglets 豬仔餅

I'm early this year :-)  I've learnt my lesson for the past few years, never make baked mooncakes last minute.


My dear friend, SL, will be helping me to get the lotus paste again this year.  She prefers to buy the ingredients closer to the actual day, to ensure that the ingredients are the freshest.  So while waiting for my low sugar lotus paste to arrive, I made 豬仔餅 to ease my itchy hands.

Using the regular recipe, I tweaked the method a little as I was rushing to leave the house.  I skipped the glazing as I personally find the piglets too sweet when I made them last year.  Without the glaze, the mooncakes' appearance are matte but still, I think they look alright.

I'm not sure if the resting of baked mooncakes was required to cool the moonies down first before glazing.  I did it anyway but only for 10 mins instead of recommended 30 mins.  In my next attempt, I think I'm just going to bake them for 20-25 mins straight.


The piggies before baking

After 1st bake, resting for 10 mins before returning to the oven

Nicely brown 豬仔餅.  My kids are happy, so am I :-)  I hope my recipients are happy to receive them too.

Traditional Baked Mooncakes
Yield 11 pieces weighing 34g each

Ingredients
(A)
200g Hong Kong Flour

(B)
120g Golden syrup/Sugar syrup
60g Peanut oil (I used soy bean oil)
1/4 tsp Alkaline water
* mix together

Method

  1. Sift hong kong flour into a mixing bowl.
  2. Pour in (B), combine well to get a smooth dough in one direction.
  3. Cover with cloth, let it stand for 20 minutes.
  4. Divide dough to portions of 34g each.
  5. Roll into a ball,
  6. Lightly flour the mould. Place mooncake in mould, flatten, dislodge the mooncake (I used a cookie cutter with stamper).
  7. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 15 mins, remove and let it cool for 10 mins.  Continue to bake for another 10 mins at 180°C.
  8. Remove mooncakes from oven and leave to cool.
  9. Store for 3 days before serving

8 comments:

viv said...

Your piglets are so cute. May i know what molds you use?

Alice said...

cute moonies :)

Anonymous said...

Hi

You mooncakes looks cute and delicious! Can i know where u purchase the hello kitty mould?

Thanks
Pauline

mui mui said...

Hi,
Your( 猪仔饼)look so lovely. Oh! Have to make this way ahead before the festive right? Will take your advice I am going to make this early too.
Thanks again for sharing. Have a lovely Sunday!
mui

SIM said...

may i know if i can use tap water? is it the same as alkaline water? many thanks =)

Blessed Homemaker said...

Sorry for the late reply,

Viv, I used a cookie cutter with stamper

Alice, thanks!

Pauline, I bought the cookie cutters online

Blessed Homemaker said...

Mui Mui, yes you need to rest the baked moon cakes to soften the skin for at least 3 days before eating.

SIM, from my limited understanding, alkaline water helps to make the dough more stretchable and gives nice browning in the moon cakes.

rachel said...

Dear Vivian, can I ask you if I can use honey to replace the golden syrup? Or can I make my own using sugar

Regards
Rachel